eds: Tim Adleman (2-4) will pitch Monday ni | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
wff Jan 7 '18
DETROIT -- Alex Avila took advantage of a rare mistake from Stephen Strasburg. Womens Australia Jerseys . Avila hit a tiebreaking grand slam in the sixth inning on a Strasburg fastball right over the plate, lifting the Detroit Tigers to a 5-1 win over the Washington Nationals on Tuesday night. "When youre facing a guy like Strasburg, you may get one pitch all game to do something," Avila said. Anibal Sanchez (9-7) gave up one run, five hits and two walks over seven innings for Detroit. Jose Veras, a day after being acquired from Houston, was perfect in the eighth in his Tigers debut. Joaquin Benoit, who will keep his job as the teams closer, gave up one hit in the ninth inning. Sanchez, who has given up two earned runs combined in his last three starts, isnt ready to say hes in a groove. "I need to keep working on my command," he said. "My first pitch for a strike is not there yet and I need that." Strasburg (5-9) allowed five runs, six hits and three walks while striking out seven over seven innings. Strasburg is winless in his last four starts and has given up at least four earned runs in three of his last five outings. "I thought he pitched great," Nationals manager Davey Johnson said. "He just made one mistake and Avila crushed it. Until that inning, the way he was cruising, I thought we might get nine innings out of him." The AL Central-leading Tigers have won four straight and eight of nine to move 15 games over .500 for the first time this season. Washington started strong, scoring a run on three hits in the first against Sanchez. Bryce Harper led off with a triple and scored on Ryan Zimmermans single. Then, the Nationals couldnt get much else going offensively. "Were not swinging the bats that badly, but we never seem to score for Stephen," Johnson said. "I cant explain that." The Nationals have scored a combined total of nine runs in Strasburgs last four outings. Miguel Cabrera faced Strasburg for the first time in the regular season with two outs and a runner on base in the first and he hit a 2-0 pitch sharply up the middle for a single, but was stranded when Victor Martinez hit an inning-ending flyout. Cabrera later, trying to field a grounder in the fifth inning, appeared to aggravate the left hip injury that had recently knocked him out of the lineup, but he stayed in the game. "It bothered him a little bit," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. Andy Dirks hit a game-tying double in the fourth inning and if a fan, sitting in the front row along the third-base line, didnt field the ball with his glove, the Tigers mightve gone ahead. Jhonny Peralta was sent back to third base after scoring, and Avila ended the inning with a flyout. The catcher made up for the missed opportunity a few innings later, sending Strasburgs 2-1 pitch soaring deep into the right-field seats to give the a four-run lead. "I pitched well, minus one pitch," Strasburg said. "That was supposed to be a fastball away, but it came back over the plate and he put a good swing on it." NOTES: Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski said before the game that didnt anticipate making another trade before Wednesdays non-waiver deadline, but did in fact make a deal after the game. Detroit acquired IF Jose Iglesias from Boston for OF Avisail Garcia and RHP Brayan Villarreal, adding a much-needed option if Peralta is suspended as part of baseballs Biogenesis drug investigation. ... Johnson said he doesnt expect the Nationals to make a trade before the non-waiver deadline. ... Johnson said pitching coach Steve McCatty, a Detroit native, was still in a hospital, two days after he was taken there to treat an irregular heartbeat and high blood pressure. He is expected to be released Wednesday. "Just being really careful with him," Johnson said. Detroit RHP Justin Verlander (10-8) is scheduled to start against Washington LHP Gio Gonzalez (7-3) on Wednesday afternoon in the series finale. ... The Nationals, who swept a two-game series against Detroit at home in May, fell to 0-4 at Comerica Park. ... Detroit had a grand slam in its last game with Peralta clearing the bases in a 12-4 win that finished off a sweep of the Philadelphia Phillies. Australia World Cup Jerseys .Y. -- Canadas Kaillie Humphries and Heather Moyse have another World Cup gold medal after winning the two-women bobsled race on Saturday in Lake Placid, N. Cheap Australia Soccer Jerseys . The 17-year-old native of Marystown, N.L., pulled out of Skate Canada International last month in Saint John, N.B., with the same problem. http://www.cheapaustraliajerseys.com/ . With Parker having a quiet game for once, Nicolas Batum and Boris Diaw provided the scoring as France won its first major basketball title by beating Lithuania 80-66 on Sunday. It was a victory that ended a decade of frustration for Parker and a talented French generation, which lost the final against Spain two years ago and took bronze in 2005. MILWAUKEE -- For seven innings, the Milwaukee Brewers couldnt hit with runners in scoring position.The last two innings they couldnt hit. Period.Brandon Finnegan pitched five scoreless innings, lifting the Cincinnati Reds to a 4-2 victory over the Brewers on Sunday.Finnegan (10-11) scattered three hits and struck out four, needing only 54 pitches to get through five innings. The Brewers were 1 for 9 with runners in scoring position, and their final seven batters struck out to end the game.We got some opportunities, Brewers manager Craig Counsell said.The Brewers have struck out 1,487 times this year. With six games remaining, they are closing in on the 2013 Houston Astros major league record of 1,535 strikeouts.Raisel Iglesias pitched the ninth for his fourth save in five chances, striking out Chris Carter, Hernan Perez and Orlando Arcia.Seven punch outs to end the game, Cincinnati manager Bryan Price said. Good intensity. Thats what you want to see at the end of a season on a team thats got 90 losses.Carter has 38 home runs, but has struck out 199 times to lead the Brewers. He was with Houston in 2013, striking out 212 times that season.Ryan Braun had a triple and a single, and was given a standing ovation by the Miller Park crowd during his final at-bat in the eighth inning, and again after he struck out. He has been mentioned as a possible trade candidate during the offseason as the Brewers continue to rebuild.The love and support Ive received here is more than any athlete could ever hope to get from any fan base, Braun said. The people here, at least most of them, recognized that theres a chance that this was my last home game as a Brewer. I dont think theres a great chance but theres certainly a higher chance than theres been at any other point during my 10 years here. Ive always appreciated that support. It means a lot to me.Milwaukee starteer Wily Peralta (7-11) pitched six innings, allowing three runs -- two earned -- on five hits and three walks while striking out five. Australia Jerseys From China. Banished to the minors on June 12 after a poor start, Peralta returned in August and has made nine starts, going 3-4 with a 3.23 ERA in his second stint with the team.After falling behind 4-0, the Brewers scored twice in the seventh off Jumbo Diaz, with Perez scoring on a throwing error by catcher Ramon Cabrera. Yadiel Riveras groundout then scored Arcia to make it 4-2.Before the game, Counsell discussed the death of Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez, killed early Sunday morning in a boating accident.He had Hall of Fame-level talent, Counsell said. It felt like Jose could last a long time, be a part of that for a long time, be the face of the Marlins a long time, which obviously makes it difficult.ATTENDANCE DOWNIt was the final home game for the Brewers, who drew 2,314,614 fans, down 9 percent from 2,542,558 a year ago. Milwaukee went 41-40 at home and is 29-46 on the road.TRAINERS ROOMReds: Finnegan took a line drive from Perez off his right knee in the second. He threw a few pitches before facing the next batter to make sure he was all right. ... Price said it was improbable that RHP Homer Bailey would pitch again this season. He has been out four weeks with right biceps tenderness.Brewers: C Martin Maldonado returned to the starting lineup after going through concussion protocol. He took a hard foul off his mask on Thursday.UP NEXTReds: Tim Adleman (2-4) will pitch Monday night as Cincinnati opens a four-game series at St. Louis, which is vying for an NL wild-card spot.Brewers: Matt Garza (5-8) will make his 19th start of the year at Texas in an interleague game Monday night. Cheap NFL JerseysCheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys From ChinaCheap NFL Jerseys Authentic Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys China NFL Cheap Jerseys' ' '